I am so excited to share this vegan butter chicken recipe with you today. The name is a little misleading, because there is actually no chicken in this recipe – it is a vegan version of Indian butter chicken. I just couldn’t find a better way to describe it, because it isn’t really a curry, but more like a butter chicken sauce. Butter chicken is made with a delicious spiced tomato sauce. Instead of meat, the main ingredients are sweet potatoes and chickpeas, which make this dish very filling. Chickpeas are a good source of plant-based protein, and both chickpeas and fiber contain a lot of fiber.
Hang in there, there are A LOT of spices in this recipe! I always have my pantry stocked with all different kinds of spices. If you like Indian cooking, it is a must!
My recommendation for a healthy side is either quinoa or brown rice. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro for extra flavor.
Vegan Chickpea Sweet Potato Butter Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas, drained (15 oz)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all of the spices and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, tomatoes, and water and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and serve.