This red lentil soup is one of my favorite soup recipes! There are so many flavors going on in this soup, and it is really healthy. Lentils are high in protein, making them a great meat substitute in a plant based diet. They are also a good source of fiber, iron and calcium. Red lentils cook the fastest, which is one of the reasons I prefer using them in recipes. One other thing I love about lentils is that they keep you feeling full for a long time, and give you lasting energy.
Flavors inside this comforting soup include garlic, cilantro, curry, and coriander. Carrots and tomatoes also give it delicious flavor and variation. I like to garnish it with chopped fresh cilantro and a splash of coconut milk just before serving.
As a side note, you can use any green you want in place of the spinach. I have made this soup with collard greens, chard, and kale, and all of them go well.
Red Lentil Soup with Spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all spices and cilantro and stir. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth and lentils and bring to a boil, then turn the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and coconut milk.
Health Benefits of Lentils – https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/benefits-lentils#1